Sunday, January 22, 2006

It doesn't feel like a rest week

Sat AM: Ride, 40K @ 25.4kph
Sun AM: Run, 10K in 58:00

I got out reasonably early on Saturday with the intention of rolling around for 40K without pushing it. Four laps of my well travelled 10K loop around Homebush Bay.

I reckon I inadvertantly pushed it too hard, probably because I had rested on Friday and I felt seven feet tall and bullet proof. Hence I ended up averaging over 25kph, which is my usual yardstick for pushing it over this loop.

I went over to Windsor in the afternoon to sort out some stuff with my ex, and ended up having a great time playing with the dogs, and a not so great time mowing the lawns in 34 degree heat (I volunteered - sucker). Then I spent the night catching up with my best mate, who lives in a place called Glossodia, 20 minutes north west of Windsor.

I crashed there in the early hours of the morning, and off not nearly enough sleep decided to run with the Hawkesbury tri club this morning. No one was there when I turned up at 7:30, so I ran a loop of the 10K cicuit myself.

My God, I struggled. I wish I'd bothered to put my HRM strap on, as it would've made interesting reading. My program had 12K on it, and I was intending to add the extra 2K on a loop around Windor, but by the time I'd done 10K I was, to be blunt, well and truly rooted. I reasoned it was a rest week, and the last thing I needed to do was to stress my body out by going too far, so I packed it in. It was hot, I had exhausted myself on the mowing, and I think this one was a victory for wisdom, but I will have to watch it - too many "wise" decisions like this and I could end up underprepared.

Several minutes later the tri club guys started finishing up. Since I moved they had started going at 7:00AM to beat the heat. So I ended up catching up with them anyway.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gronk said...

Yeah best to take it easy it that heat Benny. Lawns would be nice if they didn't grow.

11:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home