Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Sunrise Over Homebush

Mon AM: Run, 7K, slow as a wet week
Tue AM: Swim 1500m, easy.
Wed AM: Run, 9K with 4K at 10K pace that was supposed to be HM pace.
Sleep: Ordinary

I've got a funny old week, this week. Things have come up, so in the interest of convenience I'm doing all of my training in the mornings - so I'm seeing a few sunrises this week.

On Monday I felt a bit rusty after Sunday's dehydrating effort (even after a good sleep). I just rolled around the six and a bit loop, adding an extra lap of the lake in Bicentennial Park to bring it up to 7K.

The sleep was a bit more scarce on Monday night, so I decided an easy swim was in order. I swam an easy 1500m taking a short breather every 500m. It was a little frustrating, they had the casual lap swimmers squeezed into four lanes (which is not many for Homebush Bay), and I was too quick for the slow lane and too slow for the quick lane. I ended up in the fast lane and spent the morning getting passed like a dodgy curry.

This morning I was wide awake at 4:30, so I decided to get out super early and knock out my midweek run. The plan was exactly the same as a fortnight ago: 9K with 3 or 4K at HM pace. The conditions were perfect in the pre-dawn darkness, and the first four K were just perfect - felt great, felt strong and life was good. I didn't want to bugger it all up by going from 5:45 pace to 5:10, but after the Garmin struck four I cranked it up and it wasn't too bad at all. My breathing got a bit heavy, and my pace wavered between 4:40 and 5:20, but I banged out 5:10, 4:55 and 5:03 K's without too much bother. By that stage I felt over it, but I knew I was right for a fourth which I did in 4:54. I jogged the last one in 5:30 and had a lot of time to stretch and get ready for work. All in all, a lot of fun.

I had planned to do a race on Thursday. Change of plans, so I'll probably rest and ride tomorrow and Friday, and I am currently planning on doing the Coolrunning Challenge, but this plan may change too.

3 Comments:

Blogger CJ said...

I much prefer to run in the morning, before work. Last week was very much ahainst the norm for me because I did most of my runs after work - I just find it harder at the end of the day. However, the problem with the early morning runs is convincing myself to get out of bed! Can't win!

2:57 pm  
Blogger 2P said...

More power to you Benny - I've really been struggling with getting out of the sack recently.

5:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agre with CJ and 2p. I love running in the morning. Last week I ran around the Bay just as the sun was coming up and it was just magic.

I just wish I didn't have to get out of bed to do it.

wt

7:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home