Thursday, January 19, 2006

In need of Sleep

Thu PM: 6.5K in 34:40
Sleep: Zip. Nada. Zero. Not a wink.

After a particularly rotten night's sleep I felt like a zombie for most of the day today on what was supposed to be a rest day, but given I had consumed a keg of coffee to get through the day I reasoned a nice little tempo run might give me a better chance of sleeping.

The plan was the same as Wednesday - a loop of the undulating 6.5K with 2K at HM pace, however, I got out and for the first K I felt comfortable at 5:08 pace, so I shifted the plan to running the first 3K at HM pace and then drop back to 5:30 for the last few K. I pumped out the next 2K at 5:05 and 4:58, but I had started breathing like the old asthmatic donkey. I ran the last 3.5K at about 5:25 but was well stuffed. The breathing hardly improved and the heartrate stayed at about 87% of max.

Glad I did it. I'm not surprised I struggled given the rotten sleep. I'll take tomorrow as a rest day and then finish the rest week with a couple of light sessions over the weekend, then back into the real stuff on Monday.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gronk said...

Keep plugging away Benny. I hope the Sandman visits your house tonight.

7:58 am  
Blogger Jen said...

Your determination & commitment to your training continues to inspire me Benny. I hope you can get some sleep very soon

8:57 am  
Blogger 2P said...

The grit might have felt like it was in your eyes - but it was actually in your determination - well done Benny ;-)

10:50 am  
Blogger Cirque said...

I remember sleep. Sleep was really good. I hope you rediscover the knack soon.

7:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home