Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Fat and Slow

Sat AM: Homebush Striders 10K - 52:46
Sat AM: 25K Social Bike Ride
Sun AM: Long Run - 19.2K @ 5:55 pace
Mon AM: Tempo Run - 7K, 4K @ 5:22
Wed AM: Midweek Long Run - 13K with 5K @ 5:24

Weight: 80.2Kg (Ouch)

Sleep: Fair

The title of this post is a frank and honest summary as to where my running is at. I'm not feeling too upset about it; the fact is that there has been things going on that have been both within and outside control over the past two months that have distracted or prevented me from training. I regret none of the decisions I have made, but I am not in the shape I think I need to be in to run a 1:50 half.

Anyway, the synopsis:

The Striders run on Saturday was evidence of this. I started with the 50 minute group, and they took off like startled rabbits, doing the first K at 4:30. I knew I was in trouble, but I stck with them until about 4K, where I started to slip. The Garmin died at 4.6K (I had inadvertantly left it on all night, and soon afterwards I knew my race was over in terms of a decnt time. I took a short walk break just before 5K and fast jogged it in for 52:46 - 46 seconds slower than HM pace - not good.

Afterwards I was chatting with Tiger Angel & sfGnome, and TA said to me "you should've brought your bike - we're going for a ride!". Since the race was 500m from my flat, the bike was close at hand anyway, so I grabbed the bike, changed gear and was off for a sedate 25K ride around Homebush followed by a coffee at my local cafe. The ride was a great warm down after the race and the coffee was enjoyable as I was quizzed about DJ before I rushed off to spend the rest of the weekend with her.

On Sunday I had to pop into Windsor, so I took my gear with me and did two laps of the old tri-club 10K loop. The first 10K was at abou 5:50 pace, but the second I just slowed. I couldn't manage any faster than an average of 6:05 for the last loop. Not happy.

I replaced my Monday recovery run with a short tempo. After a 2K warm up I averaged 5:22 for 4K before a 1K warm down. Another pretty slow performance. My Wednesday run, which is pretty much a tempo run went along the same lines. The 5K middle section, where I aim at 5:12 (HM pace) I could only manage 5:24.

So what does it all mean? I haven't been backsliding much - I've missed one planned run, and that was due to illness. My diet has been atrocious, and I have put on 2Kg over the last few weeks.

It's possible that the four run a week program is a bit soft - I might need to go to five runs a week and drop the bike or swim. It may be that I haven't properly recovered from the cold. It may be that I am being soft on myself and I am backsliding.

It doesn't bother me too much. I'll run at Eaglehawk in a week and a half, if I'm struggling I'll slow down and if I don't hit my target I'll change my program and have another shot at 1:50 at the Gold Coast. There's too much wonderful stuff going on in my life at the moment for me to get too cut up about it.

I have also just organised a last minute holiday. In two weeks I will be heading off to Venezuela for a week and a half with my brother. I haven't seen him in ages, and I can't bloody wait.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cirque said...

Ben - you're still running, you're still blogging and you're still thinking about the consequences. I think that's fair enough for now. Be kind to yourself and make sure you don't backslide too much.
And have fun!

9:30 pm  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Really enjoyed Sat. morning - just hope you weren't too late out west :-)and don't worry too much about the times. Just think of it as building a good endurance base.

Good news about the trip. It will do you both good.

TA

10:23 pm  
Blogger 2P said...

Mate you are doing just fine - all you need is a big hairy audacious goal to sharpen your focus ;-)

Enjoy the holiday Benny - sounds great.

9:18 am  
Blogger Katie said...

"Theres too much wonderful stuff happening in my life at the moment..." That is my quote of the week! Brilliant stuff Ben... who cares about the time if you are HAPPY!!! What is the point of a PB with out a DJ to share it with. You will crack that 1:50 goal I am sure- if not this time then nex or next or next... plenty of time :-)

4:01 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

I agree with Kit! Life sounds pretty darn good at the moment and that is waaaaay more important than a minute or two in a race.

Enjoy the hol!

9:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home