Friday, February 10, 2006

Good hard running

Wed AM: Speedwork. 7 * 1K efforts with 2 minute walk intervals. Killer.
Thu PM: Run, 12K in 1:05:48. Another solid effort.
Sleep: OK
Weight: 76.2Kg

I got no sleep whatsoever on Monday night, and was consequentially feeling like feacal matter on Tuesday, so I took a rest day instead of swimming.

Slept OK on Tuesday and decided to thrash myself on Wednesday morning with the speedwork session from hell. I got out in darkness for 1K efforts along the Parramatta River. They went like this:

4:42
4:31 (huh?)
4:37
4:31
4:27 (wow)
4:37
4:46

Considering that my usual target is around 4:45 (the Garmin is set to 4:30 - 5:00), this was bloody quick. I definitely felt it - this was a tough session. On the fifth effort my legs were starting to stuggle, but I just focussed on the sunrise over the river, which was very pretty, and got through it. You can see from the last split, I slowed. I was just out of petrol.

I have a packed weekend where I can only squeeze a long run in on Saturday morning, so I decide to run last night instead of this morning. I got out at 9:00 for a 12K session through the eerie Homebush Bay bike paths (well, they're eerie in the dark. I ran from my place to the M4 & back. I did the first 5K at long run pace, and then the idea was to pump it up to HM (5:12) pace. The actual splits were 5:16, 5:03, 4:53, 5:04 & 5:04. I found this part of the run tough. This would be a combination of the pace being closer to 10K pace, all of the crap & caffeine that I fill my body with during the working day and a partially digested Subway sloshing around in my stomach. I jogged a couple of K to round it out, went home, stretched and had a cold bath (seems to be excellent for recovery). Then - and this is gold - I slept like a log for 6 hours. I think the weaning off anti-depressants has been dicking with my sleep, but this is an excellent sign that things might be coming good in this area.

5 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

Hey Benny those a real nice 1k repeat times - well done mate - have a great weekend ;-)

12:49 pm  
Blogger Katie said...

Woo hoo! Great 1km times there :-)
Have a great weekend.

12:54 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great that you're feeling more positive, Ben! And those reps!!! Golly Moses...they were fast. Sleep well tonight & enjoy the weekend.

4:52 pm  
Blogger CJ said...

You are running well - they are pretty good times you are posting for your 1km intervals.

Glad to hear you had a better night's sleep - nothing worse than getting no sleep.

9:56 pm  
Blogger Lulu said...

Sounds like you did a hard session there with your great 1km times.

I hope you had some good sleep over the weekend!

1:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home