Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Taper week

Thu PM: 1700m swim - slow and steady
Fri PM: 7 * 1K intervals avge 4:45.
Sat AM: 35K Ride @ 25kph
Sun PM: 6.5K Tempo run.
Tue AM: 7.5K Tempo run
Wed AM: 7.5K @ 5:50 pace.

We are well into taper now. The Eaglehawk half marathon is this weekend and I have decided I have ho hope of hitting my initial target of 1:50, so I am setting a new target of 1:55, which would still be a PB of 30 seconds.

On Friday I thought I might have a chance, I ran 7 1K intervals which were paced poorly - I started with 2 4:30's and slowed from there, but only to a final effort of 4:50, so I thought I might be starting to get my Mojo back. I was completely stuffed by the end of this session.

I had a decent ride on Saturday morning: 3 laps of my 10K Homebush loop and a 5K loop through the all of the stadia. It felt good.

Sunday I did a lot of walking. 90 minutes in the Blue Mountains for the Walk Against Want, and then half an hour merrily walking over to watch the mighty Rabbitohs take on the Roosters at Telstra, followed by a grumpy trudge back home afterwards. It's going to be a long year for we Rabbitoh fans.

I decided to throw in a little tempo run in the afternoon - 2K warmup, 3K hard, 1.5K cooldown. I could only manage about 5:20 in the "hard" bits.

Circumstances dictated a rest day on Monday, so I got out for another 7.5K tempo run on Tuesday, this time with a 4K hard section. Similar result - my cardio system just isn't up to 5:12 Ks at the moment.

This morning I got out for another 7.5K run (OK, I admit it - there is a nice little 7.5K loop near DJ's place), which was just a stock standard long run pace run. four hours later I still feel a bit wiped out, so things are not as they should be.

I'll have to take it pretty easy for the rest of the week and make sure I'mm fully rested for Sunday. Lots of vegies before then, and we'll see how we go.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to hear from you Captain.

Good luck with the half. We will be sending you all the positive PB vibes we can muster.

Cheers

wildthings

12:14 pm  
Blogger 2P said...

You are going to do great this weekend Benny ;-)

1:38 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

Enjoy your easy week Benny.

Good luck on Sunday.

2:18 pm  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Enjoy the week, and then promise to enjoy the weekend too, OK?

Gnome

10:09 pm  
Blogger Gronk said...

Best of luck on the weekend Benny. Yep, I heard that the Bunnies were up at half time and I thought that you guys might be in with a chance. Just need to go for the whole 80mins and they'll be OK.

8:46 am  
Blogger R2B said...

Decided i would go and check on someone new's blog today and your it!
Good luck with your race...
can't see why someone with your level of fitness can't achieve their goal so go for it!

Cheers R2B

9:07 am  
Blogger Bernie G said...

I will be looking forward to hearing about your PB. Best of luck I hope all the training and your race plan come together.

11:57 am  
Blogger Katie said...

Good luck and have fun!!! I hope it all comes together for you :-)

12:53 pm  
Blogger CJ said...

Good luck Benny - hope it all goes well on the day. Remember - enjoy it!

9:39 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

Good luck tomorrow Benny - I hope you are able to relax and enjoy it!

Are you coming to drinks on Thursday? Looking forward to catching up with you (hopefully soon!)

10:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home