Monday, April 03, 2006

Altitude Training

Thu PM: 3K Run @ 5:45 pace
Fri: 4 hours walking at altitude
Sat AM: 3 hours walking at altitude
Sun AM: 3.5K Recovery Run

Ola Amigos,

I got out on Thursday afternoon for a small run around the square outside Clints place (250m around).

On Saturday we went on the worlds longest cable car (the Teleferico), which took us up to an altitude of 4,700m. Walking around up there I really struggled to breathe, but the scenery was great. The Teleferico is in four sections, and we went back down to the third stop to start our walk, at an altitude of 4,000m. This is by far the highest I haver ever been in terms of altitude, and the firsy hour was more or less uphill, and I really struggled. After the first hour it was mostly downhill and a lot easier, but I wouls say it was about the same exertion as a long run in terms of cardio/breathing.

We spent the night at Los Nevados, a beautiful little village on the side of a mountain, and got drunk on the local spirit, which is aniseed based rocket fuel. I may be able to post some photos a bit later.

I decided to set out walking in the morning with one of the fellow guests at the hostel at 8:00 and let the jeep with our companions, which was leaving at 10:00 to get back to Merida, catch up with us. It did so at 11:00, and I had a great time swapping stories with Heather, a committed English traveller. I{m glad that we did this because it meant an hour less on the jeep, which was hugging a goat track on the side of a mountain and thoroughly scaring the shit out of me. It would have been beautiful had I opened my eyes.

This morning I thought I might get out for some speed work, but my legs felt shitty, so I decided on a recovery run. Even that proved tricky as the South American food started to catch up with me. After two laps of the square (500m) I had to duck back inside to the toilet. Back out for 3K and then the same need hit, so I called it a day.

Will try not to refer to anything to do with anuses in my next post, but no promises.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gronk said...

Sounds like your having a great time Benny. Hope you can post a pic or two of those view from the Teleferico.

8:38 am  
Blogger 2P said...

Sounds great Benny - you will fly when you get back to sea level ;-)

11:36 am  
Blogger Katie said...

No blog is complete without an anus reference.. ;-)

Keep the updates coming!! I sooo wish I could see what your seeing, sounds awesome

6:30 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

Looking forward to those pics Benny. And I'd love to hear more about the food ... that is about it going in not coming out ;-)

8:06 pm  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

I like this idea of never being more than 250m away from a toilet. I think that's my biggest fear about Canberra (and not without precedent, I might add...)

Can't wait for the pics.

Gnome

11:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home