Tuesday, December 14, 2004

A bit of a worry

Today I knew I was going to be pushing myself a bit. After two workouts yesterday, I had myself down for a bike ride in the morning and run in the afternoon.

My bike ride was anout and back course to Richmond, 22.9K. It is flat and unprotected and into a 20kph westerly the first half was a bit of a struggle. As I am incrementally increasing the length of each ride, I incorporated the same country lanes I used on Sunday. The ride home was a lot easier and I felt pretty good afterwards. Finished the course in 68 minutes.

So with my knee feeling good I thought I would do my afternoon run on a flat bit of road out in the open, so I drove down to the lowland flats that I had rode in the morning and did a straight, flat 12 minutes out and turn around and come back. I finished where I started in 24:10, so I didn't slow down much. I hit a heart rate of 165, which was about what I wanted to do - not flat out, but more intense thatn normal training pace.

I later measured what I had just run at 4.3K, a little slower than 5:30min/k, which pleased me.

The only problem is that there has been a slight niggle in my knee since the run (which was 8 hours ago). I didn't feel bad during the run, but by the end of the run I could feel it a little bit, and it basically hasn't got any better.

As a result I have amended my program. I planned to do an running interval session on Thursday, but instead I am going to do that on Friday, and do two swims and one short bike ride for the next two days to give it some time to recover. I am also going to see the physio tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home