Monday, February 14, 2005

Hard Core Swim Squad

The day started with an early morning physio session after dog-walking. My ITB felt tight while I was driving in, and so I knew I was in for a tough one, and so it was. He released my ITB and my glutes (first time for that, hopefully last too). It's all too much before one's first morning coffee.

I had a shit of a day working on two small jobs that are both taking twice as long as I thought they would / quoted them at, so I couldn't wait to hit the pool for my swim squad. At least that's what I thought until I got there.

I just couldn't get into the zone. It could be the fact it's been ten days since my last rest day, it could be the insomnia that has kept me from sleeping more than four hours any night for the last week, or I could be just whinging.

Anyway - the swim was hard core. 200m warm up, 500m of easy swimming with a hard effort for the middle third of each lap, 400m of drills and 1250m easy adds up to 2350m - the longest I have ever done in one session. And I'm stuffed.

Tonight I will try some Horlicks before bed, and see if I can get that magic six hours.

Sweet dreams.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

A 'shit' of a day working. Ten days without a rest day. Not sleeping for more than 4 hours at night. Not the way to go, Ben m'lad! You must take more care of yourself than that or everything will be 'shite'!! Get stuck into the Horlicks...Chickybabe says so!!

My 38km was very long & very, very slow; however it's either the 50km demolish me or I demolish it...I prefer the latter! Over the next few weeks I want to get in at least one 40km & if possible one 50km.

1:15 pm  
Blogger Hannah said...

Swim squad sounds intense! I keep toying with the idea of joining a swim squad (might solve my soon-to-be-gymless dilemma!)

I love the water, though I'm not particularly good at swimming long distance. Might have to see if they've got a beginners squad or something!

12:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home