Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Two steps forward, one step back

Today was the step back.

I got out early to drive to the regatta at Penrith to do my long run on a flat course. I figured the inside running track is about 4.5K, so two laps would make the requisite 9K.

I started way too fast, and did the first 500m at about 5min/k pace. I then calmed down with my HR getting up near 170, to settle into 6 min/K pace. This is still too fast for a long run I reckon. My HR stayed up above 160, and I just wasn't comfortable. I'll talk to the physio about slowing down.

The knee felt a little dodgy at the start of the run, but settled after about 1K when I settled into the right pace. The problem came right at the end of the first lap, where there is a speedhump shaped bridge over a canal - short but steep.

Things went awry as soon as I reached the top. Classic patella femeral pain - and it was intense. No option but to pull the pin and try to stretch it. Whilst stretching I had an encounter with CR Sarge, who runs this track regularly. He told me where I might get some ice, and he was right! I kept the ice on it for twenty minutes, but it still feels a little angry now, 3 hours later. Luckily I plan to swim tomorrow, so with any luck this will not disrupt training too much.

I'm starting to accept that I am just going to have to deal with this crap in the medium term, but if I do it sensibly I will eventually run another marathon. In the meantime I just need to be patient - when I do go sub 4 hours (which is my long term goal) it will be all the sweeter for the amount of hassle it will have taken me to get there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home