Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Long Run on the oval

Since I am planning to run the SMC 5K this Sunday I shifted my long run to this morning. I decided that another long run on the treadmill was a bit too much, so I headed for the oval at McQuade Park and did laps of it.

The plan was to do 20 laps @ 6 minute pace. I decided to stretch my ITB every 5 laps and change direction. I can't remember whether it was Horrie or Sarge I was talking to about this, but the changing directions idea came from one of them, as a method of countering the camber effect and the effect of running on a constant curve.

I ended up doing the 8K in 46:30 (counting only the time I ran). I have to admit it feels like cheating when I stop to stretch. I like to do my long runs without stopping for breaks, but for the moment this feels like the right thing to be doing. The knee felt better than the last long run, which is an indication that this is a safer way to train.

I got about 5 hours of sleep last night. Better than previous nights, but I need a good seven hours badly.

I'll take a rest day on Friday, it's the only day that fits to balance the program.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben,
May bump in to you down at SMC as I am going to have a run in the 10k. Did a 10K time trial of my own last Saturday at Olympic Park...but piked at the 7k mark and slow jogged the rest. The wind and the heat..!!...got to stop running at 2pm in the afternoon.
Hoping Sunday will be better. Sounds like you are just managing the ITB. I am kinda the same as have this odd butt/hammy strain on my right side that wont go away but not really hampering my running at this point.

Dave G

2:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home