Saturday, March 26, 2005

CR Bay Run Challenge 5K - Burn Baby Burn

5AM start today to get to Drummoyne by 7AM for the for this self handicapping event. It wasn't raining when I left, but it certainly was by the time I got to the start. Met a few Coolrunners at the start, and decided to aim for a PB by heading out with the 24 minute group. After goading Omni into joining me in the attempt, we found that we were the 24 minute group.

In the past I have found "Darth Vader" pacing in 5K events effective. This is where I sound like Darth Vader after 200m, and I maintain it for the full distance. The force was not with me this morning - we did the first K in 4:20, after which Omni stopped to adjust something. I kept going, doing the same time for the next 2K. I knew it was too quick, but I'm not very good at slowing down (as can be seen by the improptu PB two days ago), so soon after the 3K marker I stopped to tie my shoelace, kidding myself that I wasn't taking a breather. It came untied again about 750m later, and I stopped again. Took a few walk breaks and came in at 25:11 - a new PW. Omni came in five minutes later to complete the crash and burn performance for both of us.

We dawdled the 5K back to the start, and eventually got up to breakfast with the other Coolrunners, huddling around the hotplates for heat. Good conversation about running ensued. It's a great community - I'm always concerned that I'm boring the tits off my friends and family when I talk about my training and injuries, but Coolrunners understand.

Tomorrow I have the day off training - my body needs it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm yes.

Let us never speak of that run again.

10:28 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

Learn to embrace those sort of runs Ben. Let a 'bad' race teach you what you need to do to improve! 'Good' races can let you become complacent.

11:49 pm  
Blogger Horrie said...

Great to hear that the dreaded ITB is not hampering you too much at the moment Ben. It was probably a bit ambitious heading out so fast after doing a 10km PB just beforehand. Don't worry too much about the PW. Once you get your knee right and can build up the training, the times will come down. You have shown great perserverence to get to where you're at. Keep it going.

11:37 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

You can be sure you'll never bore CRs, Ben! I always enjoy your blog even when you've had a Darth Vader sort of run! Look back at how things have improved for you since you first started your blog.

10:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home