Friday, March 04, 2005

Hard slog on the treadmill

I took my rest day on Wednesday, which started with a gruesome physio session.

On Thursday I had swim squad. The Thursday swim squad is a whole lot more professional than the Monday squad. It was a good combination of drills and endurance work, but again, just a little soft - suits me, I'm trying not to go hard this week. I came home to some unexpected but much appreciated casual web programming work.

Thursday evening was awesome: I saw The Goodies live. They've aged a whole lot, but they are still very funny buggers.

Friday finally saw me doing some running. With the misadventures of the knee, I thought it best just to hit the treadmill and punch out 6K at 10kph. Sounds easy, doesn't it?

It started well enough. It took me 1K to get my HR to 140, but it just kept going. By 2K I was beginning to feel like I was doing speedwork, and with the HR at 160 by 4K it just about was. Remember, my max HR is 188, so in the last K, when I hit 170 I was feeling crappy. 90% of max HR is not where one needs to be on a flat, treadmill standard training run. I'll hit the oval for my next run on Sunday. The knee feels great!

2 Comments:

Blogger Carolyne said...

Great that your knee held up Ben, and it sounds as though you are being sensible. If you haven't had your Max Heart Rate tested, it might be higher than the 220- formula. If your Rate of Percieved Exertion (RPE) 'felt' to you as though it was at 90%, then cutting it short at 4k was the right decision.

6:57 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a combination! Swimming, physio, running & then..."The Goodies"! Glad to note that your knee felt great, Bennyr. LL

8:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home