Saturday, March 05, 2005

Spin spin spin spin

As Carolyne (Flashduck) and everyone else I talk to about it has said to me, I should sit in a low gear with a high cadence when I ride the bike. Today I stuck with this advice, even though it feels like a whole lot of spinning for not much output.

It must be working. The tri-club usually rides in two groups, and I am very much in the slow group. Today we all rode together, and it was quick - we averaged 28kph (much faster than I'm used to) and although I fell off the back of the pack at the end, I did a whole lot better than I'd have expected. The HR was high throughout the ride (you don't say!) and I reckon I averaged about 145.

Just to answer a question put to me by Carolyne, I am using 188 as my Max HR because I measured it at 184 at the end of a hard 5K race and I just bumped it up a few beats on the assumption that if I did a "proper" test it would go a little higher. One day I'll do a proper MHR test - I keep putting it off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home