Saturday, April 08, 2006

All Good Things Must Come to an End (as soon as possible)

I am writing this blog entry from the airport in Buenos Aires. My flight home leaves in three hours, at 11:59PM.

I haven´t run since my last entry, but I have done an utter shitload of walking.

Tuesday was an easy day as we took a bus out to a nearby town. This would not have merited comment but for the couple we met on the bus. Barry was an expat Aussie, having left Sydney in 1954 to pursue a career as an academic that had taken him all over the world. His field was physiology. He had also run 20 marathons, ran a 50 miler on his 50th birthday and finished Ironman. We had a great discussion on altitude effect (his field of expertise) and various other stuff. He and his American wife had settled in Mexico after he retired but they spent much of their time travelling the world, so they did much talking with Clint, who has still got wanderlust.

Wednesday was back up to 4000m for some more bushwalking. This time in a national park, Sierra Nevada. We went for about three hours and I felt like a pack a day smoker for most of that time. It was pissing down when we atrted out, both of our waterproof jackets failed and sodden mud got in both of our boots.

And I loved it.

The scenery was just unbeleivable. Magic waterfalls, magnificent mountains - just beautiful. We had a disposable camera that didn´t catch the full magic, but we got a few half decent shots. When I get home I will scan one or two in and post them.

That night we got rolling drunk with Uncle Ron (ron is Spanish for rum). Don´t ever get pissed with my brother when he has a camera with just a few shots left. ´nuff said.

Thursday was mostly spent in transit, and I arrived in Buenos Aires at 5:00AM this morning.

I spent the day just walking around the city centre. I love it. It´s a bit like someone picked up an old European city and plonked it in South America. It reminded me a lot of Paris, except the people are willing to speak English if they know it. I have no idea how much walking I did today, but it was a hell of a lot - I just wanted to see more.

And now it´s time to go home. I´ll let you in on a little secret: I can´t wait. I´ve missed DJ like crazy and Sunday morning can´t come soon enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home